At the end of 1974, Gnanamuthu of ACVO EVERETT RES LABINC in the United States proposed the world’s first laser cladding patent, but due to the small market demand, the development of laser cladding technology is relatively slow. After entering the new century, especially with the maturity of high-power laser technology in recent years, the industrialization of laser cladding technology has achieved rapid development. Laser cladding technology uses high-energy laser beam irradiation to clad a layer of material with special physical, chemical or mechanical properties on the surface of the substrate through rapid melting, expansion and solidification, thereby forming a new material different from the substrate.
Why do you choose laser cladding?
In the fields of industry, energy, military industry, machinery and remanufacturing, some important metal parts are corroded and worn due to factors such as the production environment and heavy use load, which in turn has a certain degree of impact on production and resource investment. In order to prolong the service life of expensive production equipment, the surface of the metal parts of the equipment must be treated or repaired in advance, and laser cladding can perfectly solve such problems. Moreover, laser cladding places the coating material on the surface of the substrate in different ways, and the coating material and the thin layer on the surface of the substrate are simultaneously melted by laser irradiation. Subsequently, the surface of the substrate is rapidly solidified to form a surface coating with extremely low dilution and metallurgical bonding with the substrate, which significantly improves the wear resistance, corrosion resistance, heat resistance, oxidation resistance and electrical properties of the substrate surface, so as to achieve surface modification or repair. the goal of. Laser cladding not only meets the requirements for specific properties of the material surface, but also saves a lot of precious elements.
What are the advantages of laser cladding?
Traditional surface processing techniques have many shortcomings, such as manual spraying, although flexible, but the level of accuracy is too low. Compared with surfacing, spraying, electroplating and vapor deposition, laser cladding has the characteristics of small dilution, dense structure, good combination of coating and substrate, more suitable cladding materials, and large changes in particle size and content. Therefore, the application prospect of laser cladding technology is very broad, and the main advantages are as follows:
1. High metallurgical bond strength. A dense overlay alloy coating that is metallurgically bonded to the matrix is obtained by laser cladding, which means it does not peel or crack like plasma or thermal spray coatings, with little to no voids or porosity.
2. The cladding thickness can be adjusted. The hardness of the cladding layer after laser cladding can be selected between HRC20-62, and the cladding thickness can be adjusted as required.
3. Wear and corrosion resistance. Laser cladding can form an alloy layer with corrosion resistance, wear resistance and excellent performance on the surface of ordinary carbon steel workpieces, and improve the service life of the workpiece.
4. Energy saving and cost reduction. Laser cladding on the surface of key components can greatly improve the service life of components without deforming the surface of the components. Laser cladding treatment on the mold surface not only improves the strength of the mold, but also reduces the manufacturing cost by 2/3 and shortens the manufacturing cycle by 4/5.
5. The cladding quality is high, the deformation is small, the mechanical repeatability is good, the interface structure is dense, the grains are small, no holes, no inclusion cracks and other defects.
6. Low heat input and low dilution rate. Compared to arc cladding of the same part, the heat input of laser cladding is greatly reduced, and the thermal deformation of the part is significantly reduced. The heat affected zone is greatly reduced, increasing the strength of the part. The reduced dilution of the cladding layer means better metallurgical function and higher corrosion and wear resistance.
In general, laser cladding can achieve high accumulation rates and can improve the corrosion and wear resistance of metal parts, thereby greatly extending the life of the parts. If you want to learn more about laser cladding machine, please contact SENFENG.
Source link: https://www.sfcnclaser.com/why-do-you-choose-laser-cladding.html